New England On A Budget - Getting There

I live in Texas. The driving distance from Dallas, Texas to Boston, Massachusetts is 1,768 miles.  Needless to say, we did not drive to New England. The eastern coast of the United States is the most densely populated part of the country. Driving in that kind of traffic does not sound like much fun! We flew from Dallas to Boston.

I started watching airline prices to Boston 8 months prior to purchasing my tickets so I would know prices and what was a good deal. A good site to keep up with fares is Google Flights. Another site I use when searching for airfare deals is Fare Compare . Everything I read said the best time to buy an airline ticket is 6 weeks before departure. The cheapest days of the week to fly are Tuesday, Wednesday, & Saturday. The first flight out for the day is typically the least expensive.  If you are early birds then this could save you hundreds of dollars.

I looked at several airports in New England including Logan (Boston), MHT (Manchester, NH), & PWM (Portland, Maine).  Manchester, NH is about one hour from Boston.  Portland, ME is about two hours from Boston. I checked several airline prices and reviews including: American, United, & Jet Blue. At the time I was planning my trip United & Jet Blue had the least expensive fares (around $190/person round trip).  I had not flown either airline prior to this trip. 

After reading reviews for each carrier I selected Jet Blue departing from DFW Airport and flying into Logan International Airport in Boston, Massachusetts. That was a GREAT decision on my part! Jet Blue has direct flights from Dallas to Boston. I takes about 3 1/2 - 4 hours to fly to Boston. They have plenty of leg room for a coach seat which helps with that long of a flight. There is a choice of 10+ TV stations and Sirius XM radio in every seat. Oh and did I mention that your first bag flies FREE? Finally, I was most pleased with the on-time service both going and coming back home. I highly recommend flying Jet Blue! 

Note: Jet Blue is known to offer great sales.  A sale in mid July 2014 had a great sale for the first week in August 2014 with non-stop round trip fares from Dallas to Boston for $120 per person.  Yes I meant to type ROUND TRIP.  It was an incredible sale that I would have jumped on but I had just gotten back from my trip and did not see a point in going back that soon...

Amazon